This is my project to build an electric kiln for melting various
kinds of metals. I plan on starting with low melting point metals
and working my way up.
Yesterday I completed my first melt and did 2 today as well.
The first melt in the cold kiln took 75 minutes and the second melt
in the warm kiln with the same amount of metal (Zinc Alloy - 4.5 pounds) took 50 minutes.
- Size: 19 x 19 x 15 (inches)
- Weight: est. 200 lbs+
- Chamber size: 11 x 11 x 9 (inches)
- Chamber Walls: grooved hard firebrick
- Refractory: 2 parts Silica Sand / 1 part fireclay
- Heating Elements:
- Type: 18 gauge Nickel Chromium (NiChrome)
- Total Raw wire length: 100 ft.
- Watts (240V): ~5400
Last modified: 01/01/2012 @ 12:23 am